How often do I need to replace my brakes? Your brake pads and disks wear out over time. The lifespan of your brakes depends largely on the quality of your brakes fitted as well as your driving habits.
Just as your fuel efficiency varies depending on your driving habits, so do the life of your brake pads. Your brake pad is the material that presses against the metal disc / rotor or drum on your wheel to bring your vehicle to a stop. Brake pads typically need replacing every 50,000 to 75,000 kilometres. Although, some brake pads only last for 25,000 kilometres, or less. To get a more accurate number for your car’s specific needs, consult your car’s manual.
Here are the common indicators that your brake pads need replacing soon:
- Clicking, grinding, squeaking, or screeching noise when you apply the brakes.
- Vibration in the steering wheel.
- The Brake or low brake pad warning light is on.
- Brake pedal is lower than normal.
- Brake pads appear too thin.
- The car is pulling to one side when applying the brakes.
Some further tips:
- Have the mechanic check your brake pads remaining useful life when your car is in for a service or repair.
- Most brake pads have small metal hairs at the very end to let the driver know that they need to be replaced soon. Try avoid driving if your brakes are making any metal on metal noise.
- If braking becomes jittery, the disks are probably warped. In this situation you can either clean or grind down the surface of the rotor in order to make it flat again. However, it is easier and safer to just replace the brake rotor completely.
- Good, functional brakes are the key to safe, predictable braking and safe driving. Generally, if the brakes look worn out or start losing performance, they should be replaced. If there are any unusual noises or sparks coming from the brakes, you should have them inspected by a mechanic right away.
If you think that you need new brakes, it’s always best to have a trusted mechanic check it out and fit them. Michanic has a team of specialist mechanics who come to you. We understand that your car plays an important part of your daily life, transporting you and your loved ones. Michanic is dedicated to providing the most convenient services for our customers, so if you have any other questions or concerns regarding your car, feel free to talk to our customer service team through email at [email protected], or by phone on 087 803 9000.