You’ve tried to start your car, but nothing happens and all you hear is a clicking noise. This usually means your battery is low on a charge and needs to be jump started. Jumper cables consist of a red and a black cable with clips on each end of the leads. The red cable must be connected to the positive terminals (+), and the black cable to the negative terminals (-).
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to jump start your battery:
- Find a car that’s running and a set of jumper cables – most garages have a set if you don’t.
- Check which side the batteries are located and park the healthy car with it’s battery close to your battery.
- Make sure both cars are turned off and all lights and electronics are switched off.
- Attach one side of black cable to the negative terminal (-) of the good battery.
- Attach on side of the red cable to the positive terminal (+) of the good battery.
- Ensuring that the clips don’t touch each other, attach the other end of the black cable to negative terminal (-) of your battery followed by other end of the red cable to your positive terminal (+).
- Start the car with the good battery and let it run for about 5 minutes.
- Try starting your car, once started remove the cables in reverse order of the above.
- Success! Now take the car that had a dead battery for a drive, to let the alternator recharge the battery.
If a battery jump start didn’t work, your alternator or battery may need replacing
Why is my battery dead?
A car’s battery loses charge when parked. A car that stands for a long period of time will almost certainly have a dead battery and just needs to be jump started. However, car batteries also age and need to be replaced very few years. They usually start giving up during winter when its cold. Check how old your battery is and consider replacing it. If you need a trusted mechanic to come and inspect your car, book online now with Michanic.
We understand that your car plays an important part of your daily life, transporting you and your loved ones. Michanic is dedicated to providing the most convenient services for our customers, so if you have any other questions or concerns regarding your car, feel free to talk to our customer service team through email at [email protected], or by phone on 087 803 9000.